Wednesday, April 13, 2011

He will protect your nest

So we've been watching this bird nest being built right outside our kitchen window.  It's been a neat little science lesson for Ryder.  Each morning while we eat breakfast we look at it and talk about how it's changed.  Are there more sticks?  Are the birds there today?  Where are the birds, what are they doing?  Are there eggs?  What will happen to the eggs?  Etc...
So this morning while we were sitting there I see a squirrel in that tree.  I say, "Oh look Ryder, a squirrel is right by the window!"  Just as the words are coming out of my mouth that stinkin' squirrel has jumped into our precious bird nest!  I LEPT out the back door and toward that thing as fast as I could screaming for it to leave.  At this point Ryder & Paisley (seriously confused!) BURST into tears!!  The squirrel jumped away of course.  Meanwhile the birds were in the tree next to it squawking and fluttering around.  I came back in, trying to see if the nest had survived.  I didn't think there were eggs there yet, but maybe there were because Momma bird has now been sitting there all day.  The Daddy bird has been sitting further down in the tree watching.  It was just so interesting to see their reaction.  The Momma bird flew back over immediately to protect her nest.  She was visible shaken.  You could see her tiny little chest beating and she was on edge the rest of the morning.    Her home & her children had been invaded!
I thought of how I react some days to things life throws at my nest... visibly shaken.  The devil will use any little thing to come against me and my nest.  But I will not stand for it.  I am daily building and protecting my nest.  I will declare that this house is His.  We will not be shaken, we will not be moved.  We know WHOSE we are.  And we know HE cares for us so deeply.

Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

3 comments:

AshBrown said...

I love love love this post!

Lisa said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

Love it. Love our little nest of friendship we are building , too. You are a blessing to me, Beth!